The Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce was formed in 1863, only one year after the City of Victoria was founded and has played a significant role in the Victoria region ever since. Over the years the Chamber has initiated or been involved with many developments in the region’s business community ranging from encouraging Canadian Pacific to build the landmark Empress Hotel, to establishing both the Victoria Film Commission and Tourism Victoria, which first started as committees of the Chamber.
Today, with a membership of more than 1,500 members, the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce is the second largest of the 131 chambers in the Province of BC. Our membership reflects the diversity of the business community. We represent the interests of small, medium and large businesses across all sectors as well as members from the not-for-profit sector. Reflective of the character of businesses in Greater Victoria, approximately 60% of our membership is from organizations with 5 employees or less and the majority of the remainder has less than 50 employees.
Respected leader of socially responsible business development.
To be a progressive, inclusive and dynamic community leader, the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce is a supportive resource for business people who wish to learn, grow and create a stronger business and a more robust and sustainable community.
All actions of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce will remain congruent with our core values:
- We believe in free enterprise, fair profit and job creation for businesses of all sizes.
- We maintain open, honest and transparent communication.
- We encourage flexibility and diversity.
- We are inclusive, supportive and empowering.
- We are firm but fair in all of our dealings.
- We will always have the courage to do the right thing.
- To advance existing business and attract new economic opportunities.
- To constructively influence public policy and governments in supporting a healthy free enterprise system.
- To build value for our members, while ensuring the sustainability of the organization.